May 30, 2008

it's Sky Watch Friday !


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This will make no sense to you "sleepy-heads", but I'm one of those people who enjoys getting up early -- somewhere around 4am -- long before the crack-of-dawn.   In the days when I was punching a time clock I liked to punch it at 6am, mainly so I could get off work at 3pm and still have a little bit of the day left to call my own.

I'll miss it this morning, but the past couple of days I've been trying to catch the sunrise at China Camp, on the banks of San Pablo Bay -- the upper thumb of San Francisco Bay -- which isn't too far away from where I live.   But even with getting up that early it's usually it's a mad-scramble to get out there before the show is all over.   I'm running late this morning so I'll probably miss it, but I'm hoping to have my camera in position to catch a really stunning sunrise one of these days.

Special Edition

Whoopie!   I got an award!

You'll see the award I got from Troy and Martha in the left sidebar.   I appreciate the recognition and my ego-meter is pegged at full-tilt...

Now, the rules were that I was supposed to nominate five other of my favorite blogs, but therein lies the problem -- I don't want to exclude anyone, so I am going to pick my all-time favorite and give only one award to a truly outstanding blog:   FogBay.com, an incredibly interesting and informative blog about San Francisco today and it's colorful history.   Every posting of FogBay.com fattens my knowledge and appreciation of this great area we are priviliged to live in.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.

announcing my newly (re)re-designed collection:  
CLICK for what I call my BIG site



Your comments are invited and welcome.


24 comments:

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hey Donald,
Just want to see our -as always - great photography this is a beauty!
happy skywatch Greetings from JoAnn

Anonymous said...

I am always up at 4:00 and in my office before 4:30 in my PJs. The best times for me to take any photos are between 8:00 and 11:00 AM. Then the rest of the day is shot until around 6:00 PM.

I like your photograph.

AphotoAday said...

Nice to hear from you again JoAnn -- I love your photos too!

And what an honor it is to hear from Abraham Lincoln again too! This fellow is a direct descendant of the "original Abe" and I regard him as a living part of our history.   All the best to you, Abe, and take care of that heart so you are around for a long, long time to come. I agree with you 100% about not shooting in the middle of the day.   Sometimes it's unavoidable, but the quality of the light in the "golden hours" is a great reason to rise-and-shine...

Anonymous said...

This is a stunner!
Loved seeing it.

Rose said...

I don't think I have ever left a comment but I have visited your blog daily for several months now and really enjoy your photography. This one is just one of many that I have really loved.

Petunia said...

This is amazing! Love it!
Petunia's SWF

Anne said...

Very beautiful...

Nice weekend to you, from Anne in the middle of Norway,

SandyCarlson said...

Your work is outstanding!

FO - 2 said...

LOVELY! :)

Snap Catch said...

great one for SWF! mine's up too hope you can drop by.

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning shot!

Kathie Brown said...

This is an awesome shot. I love the mist on the bay and the clouds wafting over the hills.

photowannabe said...

Congrats. on your award. You are definitely edgy and unique. I love your work and today's post is no exception.
Now I'm off to see your favorite blog.
Have a great weekend.

Daniel J Santos said...

Beautiful image, excellent.

Maria said...

I love to photograph sunrises also but I'm not always in the mood to get up early in the morning!Now in Portugal sun rises at six a.m., happily not so early as you have mencioned.:-)
Have a nice weekend!

Stacey Olson said...

Donald,, these are beautiful.. I forgot skywatch..go figure..I am so bummed.

Tomate Farcie said...

Congratulations on getting this award! You deserve it. As to FogBay.com, I have to agree, it is truly spectacular.

Glad you joined the Skywatch crew.

Tom said...

Hello and welcome Donald
I am sorry that I am late getting here but my PC throwing a fit..

Excellent SW picture.. and the one above this one as well

photowannabe said...

19 comments...good stuff. I think that's practically a record.
Just wanted to say now you have me hooked on FogBay. I spent over an hour just reading and looking. Didn't get but a quarter of the way through the shots.
Now I will definitely not get anything done until I have seen them all.
Have a good weekend.
Sue

Texas Travelers said...

I don't know how I missed your sky. I must have slept all day.

Actually I worked on my brothers sick computer most of the day. I got it fixed and Martha and I got a free Mexican dinner last night.

Anyway, great sky.
Troy

Unknown said...

Amazing shot!

Anonymous said...

Hello Donald! Welcome to Sky Watch Friday! :-) This is a very nice shot! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

excellent swf. very imprressive

chrome3d said...

Very good sky pic. I love especially how the mountains disappear in to the haze. There is nothing odd at waking up early. My time is 5am.

 
under construction